In early 2012 Leeds Action To Create Homes commissioned SURE Solid Wall Insulation CIC (SURE), and Leeds Environmental Design Associates Ltd (LEDA) to create a Guidance Manual and associated training courses describing the installation of high specification insulation and ventilation in hard-to-treat homes.
This Guidance Manual and associated training will be used to add new skills to the workforce at LATCH resulting in a significantly improved renovation standard in the area of thermal performance. This will have many benefits including improved health of tenants, reduction of fuel poverty and reduction in fuel bills and carbon emissions.
This Manual is intended for use by moderately skilled tradespeople. The techniques described use readily available building materials and well known construction methods.The innovative and distinctive aspects of the manual and training are:
- its precise application to a specific building type in Leeds
- best application of measures with a limited budget without precluding future improvement works
- the documentation of innovative methods and techniques developed by SURE Insulation for use on the building type
- deep understanding of the underlying principles required to approach 'PassivHaus' standards
- presentation of guidance material that is not available from other sources
- material developed by an integrated team of specialist architects, consulting engineers, builders and social housing providers.
This Guidance Manual aims to provide a system which delivers very high thermal performance standards that typically have been achieved only at much higher cost.
This project was funded by the Local Energy Assessment Fund administered by the Energy Saving Trust on behalf of the Department of Energy and Climate Change.
Request a link to download a copy of the guidance manual "Very low carbon building improvements for Leeds Victorian terrace homes."
We are currently renovating a house using the approach set out in the manual. If you would like to visit and find out more, please contact us.
Last Updated (Friday, 07 December 2012 11:33)