Turn a house into a home
This project is currently on hold due to Covid-19 restrictions. We will update this page when we are recruiting again.
Have you got some skills or experience in construction and are you aiming to get back to work?
Train with the Latch refurbishment team and you’ll get on-the-job training in joinery, kitchen and bathroom fitting, insulating, plastering and more.
Being a part of our friendly team is a great way to gain work experience and confidence.
Whether you already have tons of experience or you’re just starting out, turning run-down empty houses into quality homes will give you a real sense of satisfaction.
We can even help you get your CSCS card, so it’s definitely worth doing!
Latch has an exciting new project, converting a large empty house in Chapeltown into four flats for people who have been homeless. We are offering opportunities on site for people who are interested in gaining experience in construction. There will be temporary six month jobs with Latch for two trainees at the end of their placement.
Trainees will attend one day per week, gaining experience on a real project in a range of skill areas. Depending on when they join the project, these may include painting and decorating, plastering, joinery, fitting insulation, fitting kitchens and bathrooms.
What’s Latch offering?
- One day per week on site, learning practical skills and gaining experience, for up to 6 months.
- PPE (safety boots, overalls etc), travel and meal expenses provided.
- Support to gain CSCS card and accredited training in Health and Safety, First Aid and more.
- One to one support to move on to a job, apprenticeship or further training in construction.
- Help with producing a CV, interview skills, job searching and career development.
- A reference if the placement is successful.
- Temporary six month jobs with Latch for two trainees at the end of their placement.
- Links with sector leading construction partners and opportunities within their services.
Who are we looking for?
People can apply if they:
- Have either done some construction training (at any level) and are looking for some experience to help them find a job Or have worked in construction or similar job in the past, whether in a skilled or unskilled role Or have lots of DIY/informal experience.
- Have been unemployed for over 6 months.
- Live in Leeds
- Have the right to live and work in the UK.
- Can commit to attending on a regular day every week and can get to Chapeltown for a 9.30am start
- Speak English well enough to understand instructions and information on site.
- Are not already participating in an ESF funded project.
This project is currently on hold due to Covid-19 restrictions. We will update this page when it is up and running again.
Nathan was having a difficult time at home and had failed his first year of college as a result. He was unemployed and desperately wanted a job, but without experience wasn’t getting anywhere. His confidence was low and he felt very negative about the future.
Nathan volunteered with Latch and gained a CSCS card. He was an excellent volunteer, with an aptitude for practical work, and visibly gained in confidence whilst on placement. A few months later Nathan was over the moon to find a job, which he put down to the work experience and reference Latch gave him.